An important part of being a prepared patient involves understanding your prescription medications.
What to do if you are diagnosed with a serious illness
- Research your condition to learn about your illness, treatment options and outcomes
- Consider a second opinion to make sure that your diagnosis is correct
Another doctor can help identify other possible options.
- Verify that your medical insurance covers your required medical services
- Learn which physicians and hospitals are experts in treating your illnessSelecting the right doctor and hospital can impact the quality of your care and outcome.
- Make sure that you are comfortable with your treatment plan
Treatment options you may encounter include: surgery, medication, radiation, physical therapy, lifestyle changes or complementary healthcare therapies.
- Contact your insurance company and ask if you’re eligible for their disease management program
This will help to ensure that you are receiving the correct treatment, offer education and help you manage your care plan.